J.W. Johnston Building
This original Eaton’s Store, built in 1925, was bought and converted 75 years later to offices for the Province of Nova Scotia. The original building had its top two floors removed. These housed the elevator mechanical and sprinkler storage tanks. Three elevators and a stairwell were removed at one end of the building and a new elevator and stairwell were constructed at the opposite end. The false roof level was removed and a new mechanical penthouse was built on the top level of the building. To accommodate all these structural changes the building was reinforced for additional loads and a cross bracing system was introduced from the basement level up to the 7th level.